A short drive from Johannesburg or Pretoria brings you to the Magaliesberg Biosphere – a place of natural and cultural wonder and unique beauty which, in 2015, was recognised as a biosphere reserve by UNESCO.
Surrounding one of the most unique, most ancient mountain ranges in the world, the Magaliesberg Biosphere is Gauteng’s most loved rural retreat and playground. African bushveld safaris, the Cradle of Humankind, watersports, hiking and exploring, shopping and even hot-air ballooning are just some of the activities the Magaliesberg offers – all in an environment of unsurpassed beauty and tranquillity.
Now the free Magaliesberg Biosphere mobile app takes you on a unique journey through this most special place; fascinating stories and handy tips on what to do and see begin playing automatically as you drive.
Plus the Magaliesberg Biosphere app contains amazing discounts on many of the area’s greatest attractions and best places to sleep, eat, drink and shop – discounts you can only get with the Magaliesberg app.
Developed by author Peter Delmar and sponsored by Bakwena, the Magaliesberg Biosphere app is narrated by rapper and TV presenter ProVerb, TV personality Ashley Hayden and Vincent Carruthers (the man who championed the Magaliesberg’s UNESCO biosphere status).
Proudly sponsored by Bakwena
What’s on the app
- Location-specific stories about the Magaliesberg’s history, people, special places, geology, flora and fauna
- Images illustrating the stories told on the app
- Limited-period discounts and special offers on food, accommodation and experiences
- Maps and directories, with information and online links, to places to stay, where to eat, what to do
- Suggested routes packed with affordable activities, food, accommodation and unforgettable sights and experiences
- Live traffic-flow info on your route
- Information on the Magaliesberg Biosphere and why it’s important to all of us